Thursday 28 January 2016

Totally Should've Book Tag


I saw this tag going around and thought it would be fun to do. Check out the original here!


1. Totally should've gotten a sequel
The Darkest Part of the Forest by Holly Black.

I've heard rumblings that this may turn into a series of some kind, which I am totally up for. This book was fantastic as a standalone, but I'm not going to object to getting to spend more time in this world!





2. Totally should've had a spin off series
The Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor

I would probably do pretty much anything for more Laini Taylor at all in general, but I adored this series and lot and it's definitely left itself open for a spin off, so who knows?





3. An author who totally should write more books
RAINBOW ROWELL

And by more I mean MORE SIMON SNOW, but also really just more anything. But more fantasy for sure.

4. A character who totally should've ended up with someone else
I'm usually pretty good about rooting for the right love interest in a triangle. But I'm still a little baffled that Harry/Ginny was endgame. Not that I was ever actually convinced I would get Harry/Draco, because hello, I understand how this works, but I think things would've been more compelling with Harry alone.

(Not that I read the last two books. Because I rage quit after OotP. For a lot of reasons. But shush.)

5. Totally should've ended differently
Arranged by Catherine McKenzie

This is a really different type of book, because I'm not one to usually read straight up chick-lit. But the concept of arranged marriages was interesting and I was in the mood for fluff and it started off well enough. But things kind of went downhill. And there was dumb "twist". And there needed to be 300% more kicking his dumb ass to the curb instead of forgiveness and blah. This left a bad taste in my mouth.

6. Totally should've had a movie franchise
The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Holy smokes, can you imagine how awesome this would be. I am, of course, choosing to interpret this as "a movie franchise with adaptations I will be happy with" so.

(It was this or the Starbound trilogy by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner, tbh. So all my faves are sci-fi.)



7. Totally should've had a TV show
The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson

I had a hard time with this one, but I went with The Rithmatist because I think you could do some neat episodic things with the whole mystery aspect of this. And you could introduce the magic system incrementally
like the book does. And there's a lot of room for expansion.




8. Totally should've had only one point of view
The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

If only because I couldn't actually tell the POVs apart. Seriously. Sometimes I would read something and go, "Wait, what? Who's narrating this section again?" Yeah. If you can't write different sounding characters, don't bother.

Otherwise, I tend to like multiple POVs quite a bit. But mostly because I like ensemble casts.



9. Totally should have a cover change
The Others series by Anne Bishop


I love this series a lot but man those covers do it NO justice at all. Bleh.

10. Totally should've kept the original covers
The Lynburn Legacy by Sarah Rees Brennan


WHYYYYYYY.

11. Totally should've stopped at book one
To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

I just don't really see why a sequel was necessary. I sort of liked the open-ended-ness of the ending. And I haven't heard super positive things about the second book anyway. I don't really intend to read it either.




And there you have it! What did you think of the tag and my answers? Got any of your own to share? Let's chat in the comments!