Sunday 17 January 2016

Review || Moth by Daniel Arenson


Moth (The Moth Saga #1) by Daniel Arenson ★☆☆☆☆
They say the world used to turn. They say that night would follow day in an endless dance. They say that dawn rose, dusk fell, and we worshiped both sun and stars.

That was a long time ago.

The dance has died. The world has fallen still. We float through the heavens, one half always in light, one half always in shadow. Like the moth of our forests, one wing white and the other black, we are torn.

My people are the fortunate. We live in daylight, blessed in the warmth of the sun. Yet across the line, the others lurk in eternal night, afraid... and alone in the dark.

I was born in the light. I was sent into darkness. This is my story.

The first three books in this series were on sale for something like $0.99 in mid-2015, and because I was intrigued by the premise, I bought the collection on iBooks and read bits here and there when I was out by myself or waiting on a friend.

And it should tell you something that I never picked this up in between those times. That I've been sitting on this since approximately May 2015 and couldn't be bothered to read more than a few chapters at a time.

This book is, quite frankly, terrible. The writing is juvenile and overly simplistic. The characters are barely two-dimensional cardboard cut-outs of people and that's being generous. The conflict is overly exaggerated and boring. And let's not even start on the offensively poor portrayal of women (which is saying something, given that there are only like two named female characters in the whole thing thus far).

There's no depth. No soul. It's boring and bland and not something I would ever recommend anyone wasting their time on. Truthfully, I'm not sure why I never DNF'd it, maybe it's because it was too much like a train-wreck I couldn't look away from, but here we are.