Tuesday 10 June 2014

Top 10 Tuesday || 2014 Faves (So Far)


Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, featuring a new category every week!

This week's topic is Top 10 favourites of this year (so far).

Given that I've read more books so far this year than I've ever managed to read in one year ever, this is going to be an interesting list! (And I can't wait to see how it changes come December!)

Four Star Reads



The Dream Thieves (Raven Cycle #2) by Maggie Stiefvater
This world is just so rich and detailed. I just want to curl up in it forever. I am constantly amazed by the level of detail and planning that must've gone into these books.

The Darkest Minds & Never Fade (The Darkest Minds #1 & #2) by Alexandra Bracken
I am a cheater, because I adore both of these. Despite taking a while to warm to book 1, I experienced withdrawal in the wait time between finishing it and picking up book 2. Both are action packed and heartbreaking and I cannot wait for In the Afterlight.

Siege and Storm (The Grisha #2) by Leigh Bardugo
This book took a turn in the first handful of pages and then I was never able to trust it again. I loved it. I can't wait for Ruin and Rising.

These Broken Stars (Starbound #1) by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
I remember muttering, "I am super into this," whilst reading the beginning chapters of this book. Man. Just. This was so unexpected and so good. I am almost to the point where I am counting down the days until the companion novel releases.

Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone #3) by Laini Taylor
While not my favourite of the trilogy, it was still a damn good book and a decent conclusion. The writing style was everything I expected from Taylor and the characters had me laughing and crying and aching alongside them.

Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick
This novel was so much more complex than I think I first realized when I was reading it. The twists backwards and forwards, looping things together, sort of blew my mind as I reflected on it afterwards. It's a book I want to reread, just to pick up on the subtleties, which is a rarity for me.


Five Star Reads



The Rithmatist (Rithmatist #1) by Brandon Sanderson
After all the hype, Sanderson did not disappoint. I loved the magic system and worldbuilding. This book will literally make you recoil in fear of chalk drawings--seriously!

The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns #3) by Rae Carson
While I enjoyed the whole trilogy, this was the book that I loved beyond all measure. There's so much growth, such an epic journey, such a satisfying conclusion... it has everything I never knew I always wanted from this series.

Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer
Speaking of everything I never knew I always wanted... How do these books keep getting better? It's witchcraft or something. Because while books 1 & 2 aren't bad by any means, Meyer just keeps upping the stakes and her writing game. I need Winter approximately yesterday.

Vicious by VE Schwab
This was just so deliciously messed up, I loved it. Definitely not your traditional superhero tale!

Saga (volumes 1 & 2) by Brian K Vaughan and Fiona Staples
I've probably gushed about these graphic novels enough, but let me do it one more time. The story! The art! The characters! I cannot wait to see how this continues to unfold.


(Shush, I am well aware that I kind of cheated. But listen, I like even numbers and pairs and stuff. Hush.)

I've reviewed a number of these here on the blog (and on Goodreads, if you follow me there). All the covers should take you to Goodreads if you want to learn more about any book in particular.

What about you? Have you read any of these books? What books have been your favourites so far this year? Let's chat in the comments!