Monday 16 June 2014

Monday Mix || Set Yourself On Fire


So in 2010 this little movie called Inception came out, maybe you've heard of it?

I'm joking of course. But what's not a joke is the fact that the fandom for the movie basically took over my life from 2010 to 2011. I have the fanfic bookmarks to prove it.

And, because it's me, I made a fanmix. An Arthur/Eames fanmix, because that's just the kind of girl I am.



Tracklist and some explanations under the cut.



The Spill Canvas - Don't Let Your Enemies Become Friends
[The initial rivalry turns into something neither is sure they want.]

And as the saying goes, don’t let your enemies become friends
For the record, I never wanted this
For the record, I wish we never met and opened up this mess
I couldn’t keep up so we cracked down
And now everything is worse

- - -

Voxtrot - Brother In Conflict
[Begruding trust, but it's tainted by their history.]

I don't see, I don't see, I don't see anything
Take the car, take the cash, take the heat out of me
Every day, every day losing my sympathy
[...]
Right now, it's just the thing that we need
I thought you'd always be my brother in conflict


- - -

Stars - Midnight Coward
[Something more develops between them, but they can't quite admit it to themselves.]

Sweetness, sweetness never suits me
When I get it up to take you home
Maybe it's love, love at first slightly drunk
[...]
What can't be decided
In the morning it will bring itself to you
I can't see what's coming
But I'm not saying it


- - -

Jimmy Eat World - Littlething
[The denial leads to yearning.]

It's everything not to call
And find out why
It's just a little thing
Buried in the other things
Burning away from inside
Would you stay with me tonight
And there's a quiet dream
I'm not supposed to think
Eating away at my mind
Could you be with me tonight?


- - -

The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio
[Finally, they accept how they feel about each other.]

Stand up straight at the foot of your love
I lift my shirt up
[...]
I still owe money to the money to the money I owe
I never thought about love when I thought about home


- - -

Envy & Other Sins - The Company We Keep
[Their partnership shifts as they work jobs together.]

We change our shape to suit the company we keep
But then you know we have our reasons too
[...]
We can be greater than the sum of all the parts.
You and I
We're like Jekyll and Hyde
More than Bonnie and Clyde
But I promise you we'll get by


- - -

Crooked Fingers - Let's Not Pretend (To Be New Men)
[They both know the truth about each other. They've seen each other at their best and worst. But there's no sense trying to be someone they're not.]

You can waste your precious time
Trying to erase all your thin little crimes
Making new waves, tiny drops in the ocean
Why trade old habits for new found devotions
[...]
So let's begin, the question is not if but when
And let's not pretend to be new men.


- - -

30 Seconds to Mars - Search & Destroy
[They take a new, dangerous job.]

Grab your gun
Time to go to hell
I'm no hero
Guilty as charged
Search and Destroy


- - -

White Lies - Death
[But something goes horribly wrong. And the threat of Limbo looms large.]

As people drift into a dream world,
I close my eyes as my hands shake, and when I see a new day,
who’s driving this anyway?
I picture my own grave
‘cause fears got a hold on me.


- - -

Mumford & Sons - Little Lion Man
[Arthur blames himself and a lack of planning for their predicament.]

Weep for yourself, my man,
You'll never be what is in your heart
Weep Little Lion Man,
You're not as brave as you were at the start
Rate yourself and rake yourself,
Take all the courage you have left
Wasted on fixing all the problems
That you made in your own head


- - -

Snow Patrol - It's Beginning To Get To Me
[They start losing themselves in Limbo; forgetting the history between them and why they're there in the first place.]

And it's beginning to get to me
That I know more of the stars and sea
Than I do of what's in your head
Barely touching in our cold bed

Are you beginning to get get my point
That all this fighting with aching joints
It's doing nothing but tire us out
No one knows what this fight's about


- - -

Death Cab for Cutie - Long Division
[Limbo continues to blur with reality.]

His head was a city of paper buildings
And the echoes that remained
Of old friends and lovers
Their features bleeding together in his brain
Once it starts it's harder to tell them apart


- - -

The Weakerthans - Left and Leaving
[They continue to get lost in Limbo. Fighting with each other and drifting apart.]

My city's still breathing but barely it's true
Through buildings gone missing like teeth
The sidewalks are watching me think about you
Sparkled with broken glass
I'm back with scars to show
Back with the streets I know
Will never take me anywhere but here
[...]
Wait for the year to drown
Spring forward, fall back down
I'm trying not to wonder where you are
All this time lingers undefined
Someone choose, who's left and who's leaving


- - -

Editors - Papillon
[Despite the wandering, something triggers Eames' memory. Now he just has to figure out how to convince Arthur of the truth.]

Darling, just don't put down your guns yet
If there really was a God here
He'd have raised a hand by now
Now darling, you're born, get old and die here
Well that's quite enough for me,
We'll find our own way home somehow.


- - -

Mumford & Sons - The Cave
[Eames' continued efforts to get them out of Limbo. He's finally successful.]

It's empty in the valley of your heart
The sun, it rises slowly as you walk
Away from all the fears
And all the faults you've left behind
[...]
But I will hold on hope
And I won't let you choke
On the noose around your neck
And I'll find strength in pain
And I will change my ways
I'll know my name as it's called again