Friday 20 June 2014

Putting Off Reading

So, there's this weird thing I do sometimes. Where I've been waiting and waiting to read a book and then I eventually get my hands on it.

And then I don't pick it up.

For like, a while.

Is this just me? Am I just ridiculous?

I've been trying to sort out exactly why this is a thing that I'm prone to doing. And I don't have any real clear answers, but I have a few ideas.

There are two books in recent memory that I've done this with (and been annoyed at myself for it). Siege & Storm by Leigh Bardugo and Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor.

You'll note that they're both instalments in a series. They were both highly anticipated (even though I got Siege quite a bit after its release date). They were both parts of a series that I really enjoyed.

Here's where I think the problem is. Without meaning to, my brain is psyching me out on this.

"What if I don't like it?" comes to mind almost immediately. I think I get freaked out that the next instalment isn't going to live up to my expectations from the other books in the series. Especially when a beloved series is at stake, this is a real worry!

"I'm not in the mood," is another excuse I've battled with. Siege is, admittedly, fantasy. And in the time I had it on loan from the library, I picked up at least one book before I convinced myself to give it a go. Dreams is a behemoth of a book, at over 600 pages. And it came at a time when I was sort of suffering from reading fatigue. So committing to it was a bit more than I thought I could handle.

"But I'm not ready for it to be over!" This is primarily in the Dreams of Gods & Monsters case, what with it being the end to a trilogy and all. Though, given my track record, I'm sure I'm going to struggle with Ruin & Rising in much the same way. It's hard when things come to an end, especially when I'm attached to characters and their stories. And I want things to be resolved well. So I fall prey to my doubts.

I don't have any answers as to how to get over this procrasti-reading. With both the books above I gave myself a firm talking to. Which mostly consisted of something along the lines of, "Self, this is stupid. Sit yourself down and start the damn book."

Which is what I did. And then I had a hard time putting them down again. (Which, subconsciously, I think I knew also.)

What do you think? Have you put off books you've been dying to read for no (good) reason? How do you convince yourself to pick them up? Let's chat in the comments!