Monday 21 July 2014

BookTubeAThon Wrap Up



... Haha. This should really be called "BookTubeAThon Spectacular Failure". 

I did not even remotely read things according to plan this week. I actually hit a pretty bad reading slump at the beginning of the week and never really recovered. It's partially because I decided to go into school this week and do some planning for the fall. I'm teaching brand new courses (one of which is a diploma level course, which is fairly high stakes for grade 12 students) and wanted to get a jump on the first couple of units since I'm going to be moving right before school starts up again.

Anyway. I put in 5 hour days of basically non-stop work Monday through Thursday. And when I came home, I did not feel like doing much of anything.

That's not to say I didn't read this week. It just wasn't really what I'd planned on.

Monday


I read about 50 pages of Dead Iron to kick things off after work. And it was just... a little bit more involved than I was anticipating. It's steampunk fantasy and it's fairly complex. I enjoyed what I've read so far, but it wasn't really helping the reluctant reading mood I was in. I haven't read on since Monday, but I'm planning on it.

After dinner I decided I needed something lighter, so I picked up Fables volume 1, which I'd snagged from school earlier that morning. It was fun and enjoyable. I rated it 3 stars.

Tuesday

Tuesday I read the only book that was actually on my TBR, Locke & Key volume 1. The only mistake I made here was reading it so close to bedtime. Holy crap, it was messed up. I really enjoyed it though, and rated it 4 stars.

Wednesday-Friday

I did absolutely no reading these days. Which is definitely because of this reading slump. And also a little because of my impending move related stress.

Saturday

I decided I needed to make up for my lack of reading late Saturday night by picking up Amulet volume 1. I'd also snagged this at the school library earlier in the week. It was a really quick read and quite engaging. I liked it and rated it 3 stars.

Sunday

I watched a bunch of BookTube videos to try and psyche myself back up to reading. I ended up picking up Fractured (Slated #2) because 1) I figured my TBR was never going to happen anyway and 2) I've borrowed this on interlibrary loan and it's due back soon and I can't renew it.

I'm about 25% of the way through this and I should be able to finish it in one or two more sittings. (I would've read more today I think if I hadn't discovered there was a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles documentary on Netflix........)

And that was my BookTubeAThon.

What did you read this week? I hope your reading this week went better than mine did!