Sunday 5 January 2014

Book Tag || New Year's Resolutions Tag


In conjunction with my 2014 Goals post, I thought I'd take a crack at the New Year's Resolutions Tag made by CharrsNewChapter on Youtube.

So! Here are the questions!

1. An author you'd like to read (that you've never read before). 

Almost all of them? I tend to put books on my tbr list based on whether they sound interesting and not really take author into account. But if I have to choose....

I'm going to go with Alastair Reynolds. I have two of his books and he's lauded as one of the greats in sci-fi, so I need to get on that, I feel.

2. A book you'd like to read.

You mean the 280+ on my tbr list on Goodreads isn't sufficient? There's almost too many too choose Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi is high up on my list. I've got a copy on my shelf and everything...


3. A classic you'd like to read.

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. This will probably not happen this year, but I can dream. I grew up on the musical and have been devouring the fandom output since the movie came out last Christmas. It's just that I know this book is a huge commitment, so that's intimidating.

I also want to find a copy with the translation of Orestes Fasting, Pylades Drunk in which Grantaire's dialogue is translated to "Do you permit it?" Because, as I said, the fandom has taken over my life. (I found "If you'll permit it?" or something similar once. So close!)


4. A book you'd like to re-read.

I think I'm overdue for a reread of The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Having seen the stylish movie adaptation last year made me realize it's been a long time since I read this book. And since I consider it personally influential (more on that later, perhaps in another post) I think it's time to revisit it.


5. A book you've had for ages and want to read.

Again, almost too many to list. (I have this bad habit of buying books and then not reading them in a timely manner.)

But let's go with Cold Fire by Kate Elliott. This is the second book in The Spiritwalker Trilogy and I adored Cold Magic and own Cold Steel, so I really just need to get moving with this series. (And actually, I feel like Cold Magic probably warrants a reread before I push on further. Good thing one of my resolutions this year is to complete more series!)

6. A big book you'd like to read.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I actually started this back in 2012 and probably got 50 pages in before I set it down. I remember really enjoying it, but it just wasn't what I was in the mood for at the time. It's definitely a denser read and at the time I needed more fluff, so I set it down and haven't come back to it. But it's time to, I think.


7. An author you've previously read and want to read more of.

I'm super excited to read more from Laini Taylor, Rainbow Rowell and Marissa Meyer!


8. A book you got for Christmas and would like to read.

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake. I've got this lined up for the Bout of Books read-a-thon next week, so hopefully I'll get around to it!


9. A series you want to read (start and finish)

The Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu. I have heard so much about this series and it sounds like it's right up my alley. It's probably going to be one of the first books I borrow from the school library this year, if I can get my hands on it!


10. A series you want to finish (that you've already started)

The Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth. I read book 1 back in 2012 and was underwhelmed overall. But with Allegiant just being released and all the hype around the movie, I'd like to be in the know. So I'll probably reread Divergent before tackling Insurgent.


11. Do you set reading goals? If so, how many books do you want to read in 2014?

Always. And as always, the goal is 50 books. Fourth time's the charm?

12. Any other reading goals?

Check out my 2014 goal post from a few days ago

What do you think? Do you have any resolutions for the new year? Or any goals? Let me know! And if you want to give the tag a shot, feel free! (And link me so I can see your responses!)