Friday 26 September 2014

An Update

You may have noticed that I haven't really been around these parts much lately.

Sure, my prescheduled "Waiting on Wednesday" and review posts have been coming through regularly. But there's not much else going on.

I have to apologize for that. And then, of course, explain myself.

As you may or may not know, I moved house in August. It was a hugely stressful process, but I'm finally starting to feel settled in to my new place after just over a month. (I still wake up in the middle of the night sometimes and don't quite know where I am... the bedroom feels strange still for some reason!)

If that wasn't enough, school of course started back up in September. I have a totally new course load this semester, as I'm teaching senior high for the first time in many years. So the stress of a new school year is compounded by the fact that I'm planning new (to me) courses and trying to get a feel for the much faster pace of senior high. (And all the tons of marking that comes with it!)

And, of course, the best for last. (And by best, I mean worst.) This past week and a bit I've been struck down by the worst cold I've ever had. ... Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I've got a pretty good immune system. So when I get sick, I get sick. And this is definitely the sickest I've been in recent memory. I had to take 2 sick days from school this week. Two! The last time I used a sick day period was June 2010. This does not happen to me.

The reading slump I've been in since moving is getting better. I'm at least on track to read a fairly average number of books this month. (The total looks like it's going to be about 7, which is great.) And I'm generally pretty excited about reading things off my bookshelf. It helps that I have new shelves and everything is visible now. I occasionally will just sit and stare at the shelves lovingly. I'm probably going to have to post some pictures soon!

So! All that to say, I've been absent here lately and I'm sorry for it. I really want to get back into things and post some new content and interact with people again.

Thanks for sticking around despite my relative radio silence. Here's to things getting back to normal!