Tuesday 22 April 2014

Top 10 Tuesday || Characters I Adore


Top 10 Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted by The Broke and the Bookish, featuring a new category every week!

This week is Top 10 Characters Who X--where you get to decide. So I went with Top 10 Characters I Adore.

There are lots of different reasons I adore these characters, so I'll try to go into the reasons behind each and everyone one of them as I go.

This is in no particular order, either!



1. Meg Corbyn from The Others series by Anne Bishop
Meg is just such a delightful character. She's so unique. She's weak and clumsy, unsure and naive. But she has such a good heart. She tries her best. She stands up tall and strong and brave when she knows she has to, even when it scares her. There's a reason a Courtyard full of vicious Others have taken to her. I adore her so.

2. Linh Cinder from The Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer
Cinder has undergone so much growth since her eponymous debut. She's strong and independent, but still struggles with the destiny resting on her shoulders. Her interactions with all the rest of this delightful cast are so layered and ugh, I adore her.

3. Georgia "George" Mason from the Newsflesh trilogy by Mira Grant
I'm going to single out George from especially Feed (book 1) in this trilogy. Feed was such a captivating read for me, and it was because of George's character voice. She's such a compelling narrator and Feed was a rollercoaster ride like none I'd ever been on before thanks to her.

4. Liesel Meminger from The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
I feel like, out of all of these, this probably requires the least explanation. Liesel's story is one full of such hardship and heartbreak. But she herself is full of perseverance and light and hope. She's definitely something special if Death himself made a point of telling her story.

5. Aech from Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Without spoiling too much, Aech's identity reveal near the end of Ready Player One was really really interesting to me. It was here that I saw a glimpse of what might have been for this story. It was here that there were so many layers and interesting conversations about the social order. Now, it may seem odd that a character from this book should make an appearance, given my lukewarm feelings towards it, but Aech is on here because I maintain that the book would've been 100 time more compelling with Aech as the narrator.



6. Aziraphale & Crowley from Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
Again, I feel like this one almost speaks for itself. And you have to group these two together, because how can you not? Witty banter, co-dependent relationships, hilarious blasphemy... what more could you want?

7. Sturmhond from The Grisha trilogy by Leigh Bardugo
I'm literally resisting the urge to just up and swoon here. I was so wary of Sturmhond before I started Siege and Storm (book 2) because how could the collective readership of this series adore a character so much when he hadn't even been in book 1? I was nearly instantly converted. Sturmhond is clever, witty and a man of many masks. (I have a thing for identity reveals, in case you haven't already noticed.) I just want to banter with him forever.

8. Chubs from The Darkest Minds trilogy by Alexandra Bracken
Listen, I adore Liam as much as the next girl, but there is this huge place in my heart for Chubs and I don't even know how that happened. This trilogy is super good at getting me ridiculously attached to everyone, but somewhere along the way Chubs grabbed me and wouldn't let me go. I just adore him.

9. Noah from The Raven Cycle series by Maggie Stiefvater
Almost from the first moment there was something about Noah I loved. It was probably that his description included "smudgy". I don't even know what to tell you. I just. As you'll see with this and #10, sometimes the characters I adore are the ones I feel like I need to fiercely protect. They're too wonderful and sweet and too many bad things have (or will) happen to them. Noah fits this category to a tee.

10. Patroclus from The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller
Oh Patroclus. Part of me just wants to weep. The other part of me wants to cradle him protectively against my chest and never let him go. And possibly hiss at anyone who comes close. Patroclus just is so endearing in this narrative and there's something about him that awakens my ridiculously protective instincts. I just need him to be happy and safe and loved forever. The end.

Okay, not quite the end, but you get my meaning.

What characters do you absolutely love and adore? How do you feel about the characters on my list?

Let's chat in the comments!