Tuesday 26 January 2016

RYBSAT Wrap Up


Sadly, another round of RYBSAT is at an end. Let's see how I made out with the reading!


1. Trial By Fire (Worldwalker #1) by Josephine Angelini
2 stars. An interesting premise boggled down by mediocre writing and some troublingly problematic elements. If you want parallel worlds and universe jumping, I'd recommend Tandem by Anna Jarzab instead.

2. Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
DNF. I read 50-70 pages and was already skimming along. This just didn't end up being what I expected--which is too bad, because look at that cover.

3. Fortune's Pawn (Paradox #1) by Rachel Bach
4.5 stars. Oh man I LOVED this one. I had a feeling I was going to enjoy it, but I didn't expect to like it as much as I did! Watch out for a review coming soon!

... And then I cheated a little bit.

Listen. My inter-library loan came in and they sign them out to you immediately and you can't renew them, so I had to shuffle things around a bit.


4. Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley
2.5 stars. I wanted to like this more than I did. The content is so important, but the writing never immersed me. I've got a full review of this one scheduled as well.

5. An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes #1) by Sabaa Tahir
2.5 stars. Another cheat since this is also a library book, but shush. Ultimately, this one let me down. I just finished composing a review for this, so watch out for that a little later on. (And read The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski instead, tbh.)


And there you have it! Not bad for only a week of reading, even if I did deviate from my shelf a bit. Oops! I love this readathon a lot, so you can bet I'll be up for round 8, whenever that is!

Have you read any of these? What did you read this past week? Let's chat in the comments!